So in lieu (that's a french word btw..translated directly as "place") of all of the interesting things i am NOT doing a ce moment, I decided to explain some of the MAJOR cultural differences contre les US.
1. Bisous are a must when meeting someone new. That means you kiss someone on the cheek 1-4 times depending on how well you know the person introducing you. Complicated? YES. because it requires your judgment on how well you know the other person. Normally its about 2 and i just follow the other person's lead.
2. Warm milk: Milk here is never cold. Its warm. all the time. in cereal. in coffee. in everything. its gross.
3. It's a must to always say hello and goodbye to everyone you encounter...like in a shop, resto, room. so many hellos and goodbyes!
4. On the other hand though, no one smiles here. If you pass someone on the street--don't smile because they assume its fake. Also when you are asking for food at a resto or shop or buying anything there is no smiles and jokes. straight business.
5. Public Transportation is HUGE. everyone rides the bus. everyone takes the train. period.
6. No light colors to be found in clothing. Black, Brown, Grey SOMETIMES red. I love it.
7. They drink their coffee from a bowl. No joke. My cereal bowl and coffee bowl are the exact same.
8. Also, if you're ordering a coffee from a resto or from a vending machine, expect a dixi cup size.
9. SO MUCH BREAD
10. Rarely do you find prepackaged food items. Everything is bought fresh...even at the french equivalent of walmart is there fresh food everywhere.
11. everything is smaller. EVERYTHING. everything.
12. yogurt is everywhere.
13. you pay for the table more than the food.
14. pretty much everywhere closes from 12:30-2:30 for lunch. I can't expect to get anything done on my lunch break.
15. nothing is open on sundays. Its nice to have a break. but if i'm hungry I'm screwed.
16. taxes are included...do the price you see is the price you pay. same with food...no tips either.
17. French women (younger especially) do not leave the house with out perfect makeup, hair, and heels. my sweatshirt and jean approach stand out quite a bit.
18. Most bathrooms (unless you're in a touristy spot) are coed. Same with showers.
19. French men are way to forward for my comfort.